Monday, May 19, 2008

   Lauren Woods

May 19, 2008


      Whenever, I think of women in literature, I think of strong women who write novels based on personal events or stories throughout their lifetime. I feel that these women have a very important message and or story to tell, which is why their works are shared with us everyday. As far as having knowledge of women in literature, I do not have that much previous knowledge, but over the past years, I have discovered that I enjoy the works of Virginia Woolf. Woolf’s writings are typically based on the differences in society between men and women. As a feminist writer, I feel that she really goes into depth about how women were treated during her time. For example, in her book Mrs. Dalloway, Woolf walks us through the life of a wealthy housewife (Clarissa Dalloway) and how she is planning a huge party, for the people of the town to enjoy. From an outer perspective it seems that Clarissa is very happy, but from an inner perspective, Clarissa life on the inside is missing something. I feel that the writing that Woolf writes about are so fascinating, because they show how life may seem blissful, but there is a deeper meaning to everyone.

       On another note, I have a hidden love for poetry. I have read some of Phillis Wheatley poems in the past and I enjoyed them. I feel that by having to go through all of the struggles that she did, not only as a black woman, but also as a slave was very empowering for her time. I am anxious to read more of her poems. I admire Phillis, because of how strong she was and how powerful her works of literature are. She is a major role model for me, because she is a strong African American woman, who was able to persevere through issues within her life. Throughout my lifetime, I have also gained a love for Mya Angelou. I really enjoy her poem phenomenal woman. It describes a strong woman, and how important it is to be independent. 

         This semester, I am anxious to learn about many different works from all of these women writers. I am interested in looking into further depth about the races and differences between all of the writers.  I feel this will give me more appreciation for women writers. 

1 comment:

koroma said...

Hey Its Mickal, i agree with what you had to say about your thoughts of the words women in literature. for me what comes to mind is the strong women in history who have all made a difference to put us where we all are on a day like today.