Monday, June 16, 2008

"Birth"

     Being a woman and reading this short story written by Anais Nin, I found myself sad by the closing of the story. As I read the title, I thought this story was going to be about a happy birth of a child, one of life's greatest blessing and I quickly came to find out that I was going to be wrong. The first line of the story, when the doctor tells the woman that the child is dead, caught me off guard. The more I read on in the story, I began to feel the woman's pain and how it was so hard for her to have to push this child out. The more I read on into the story, I suddenly became more and more sadden. Here you have this woman, who tried to give birth to a child that was six months old and was unable to succeed. This story brought tears to my eyes, because here it was, you had this woman who had carried another life around another life for six months and at a time she thought she was giving birth, the baby did not make it. The way that the author wrote this story was quite harsh to me. Normally in short stories, they start you off with a little background, as opposing to this one when you find out the plot within the first line. Although I do realize that life is not fair, I wish this story could have had a happier ending. 

2 comments:

Ameesh Dara said...

Lauren, I agree with the fact that this story was very sad, and unfortunately, that's life for millions of women around the world. However, I did find that as I was reading the story, the mother's constant determination gave me an inkling of hope. As she kept shouting, "Show me the child...Show it to me," I didn't want to believe the child was dead until she (and I, the reader) had actually seen the child. I thought that was the most powerful aspect of this story.

koroma said...

this is a very sad tale indeed. the idea of birth is supposed to signify a new beginning and instead this woman had a still birth, i felt close to this story because im a pre-mature baby myself and it speaks to me, all i could imagine was "this could have been me" especially when the mother sees her dead child at the end.