Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dreaming Ourselves Dark and Deep Black Beauty


           This story written from the sisters of the Yam: Black Women & Self Recovery was very interesting to me. I feel that by being a young African American woman I could personally relate to a lot of the issues that were discussed within the passage. I feel that this story also goes deeper into some of the perceptions that whites and blacks have of each other, for example, segregation, integration, hair care, self perception etc. By reading this article, I also reminisced on many ideas that I had heard or learned about throughout my lifetime. For example, a major disbelief that many African American women have his the myth that because our hair is a different texture than White Americans, than that means something bad. I have always been taught to love what God has given you and just because things (even a small thing such as hair texture) make you different love what you have because you are different. 
          The more that I read on this short story, the more interested I became. Most of the remarks and studies that people had discussed, I had had some sort of previous knowledge on. I feel that in even as a small child, I was exposed to many of this ideas, as the article states. I strongly believe that this short story was very informing and got directly to the point, which I enjoyed. I also not only learned about the African American culture, but more about myself and my beliefs. 

2 comments:

Ameesh Dara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
koroma said...

I agree with you here because i was raised by my mother to love myself and everyone around me, however even in the society in which we live today, it is really ironic that hair color, skin tone, and class still matter. But one has to also blame the media for not exactly helping the situation by showing nothing but steriotypical things